First photos of Brit expat, 35, who drowned in Ibiza while ‘free diving at quarry’

First photos of Brit expat, 35, who drowned in Ibiza while ‘free diving at quarry’

The first pictures have emerged of a British expat who drowned in Ibiza while swimming at a popular beauty spot.

Tributes have been paid to Kevin Smith who died on the Balearic island on Wednesday.

The 35-year-old was with a friend when he got into difficulties near the resort of San Antonio.

Emergency responders tried to revive him with CPR after he was pulled unconscious out of the water at Punta Galera, understood to be an old stone quarry next to the sea.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, with the alarm having been raised around 6.15pm, the Civil Guard confirmed.

Mr Smith was initially said to have been practicing underwater photography although sources on the island subsequently said he was also free diving.

It relies on breath-holding until surfacing.

Mr Smith, from London, is thought to have worked as a personal trainer in Ibiza after moving to the island in 2016.

Among a number of tributes, Nick Barlow, a friend in Ibiza, took to social media to dub Kevin an “action man” and speak of his shock.

He said: “I can’t believe my big brother on the island is gone. It doesn’t seem real. I saw you on Monday. You messaged me if I was free yesterday. But now, just your spirit lives on.

“Everything was just starting to take off. You had just shared some massive news with me, and I was so so excited for you. Everything was heading your way.

“I’d never met anyone with so much energy. You didn’t have an OFF switch. Anything you did in life, was always per cent, to the max, no less! That was your life motto.”

Photos published locally showed emergency responders around the Brit as they practiced CPR on him on rocks near the water’s edge.

A Civil Guard spokesman confirmed the dead man was a 35-year-old Brit, adding: “An investigation is underway.”

A post-mortem was expected to be carried out today.

The results will be sent to a local court tasked with coordinating the ongoing probe.

A spokesman for the regional government-controlled emergency response coordination centre added: “We received a call to say a man had been pulled unconscious out of the water around 6.15pm on Wednesday.

“He was pronounced dead at the scene shortly afterwards despite attempts to revive him and save his life.”

inxiorg